Hey guys, Sarah and Beth here! We’re very excited to share our first DIY project with you! Ever since we spied this Kate Spade Glitter handbag, we’ve been drooling at the glamorous possibilities of this little beauty. But the price tag? Not so drool-worthy.
So our wheels started spinning and we realized, by golly we can do that ourselves!
Here’s what we did…
1. Gather Materials
- Adorable clutch (Sarah used this one) or classic handbag (Beth chose this one)
- Modge Podge
- Paint Brushes
- Glitter (any variety will do, Sarah used fine glitter and Beth opted for large glitter, but the Kate Spade has a mix of fine glitter and larger glitter)
- Disposable cup or bowl
2. Mix Glitter
- Since Sarah chose a multi-color handbag she mixed her own glitter with equal parts of red, purple, green, blue, silver, and gold glitter. The great thing about a DIY project is, you can choose your own mixture! We didn’t measure anything out, but we both used a ton-o-glitter.
3. Add modge podge
- You want this glitter to stick, so use quite a bit of modge podge and mix it with the glitter. Note: Don’t worry that the white modge podge makes the mixture look different, it will dry clear!
- Paint the modge podge glitter mixture onto handbag in thick but smooth coats. You don’t want it to look globby, but you’ll need quite a bit to totally cover the handbag. We each did about 3 thick coats, letting it set for 30 minutes in between coats.
5. Let it dry overnight and VOILA! Gorgeous, custom and CHEAP glitter handbag!