Going on a trip? Exciting! All of us at Handbag Heaven love to travel, so we put together some tips to help you get everything ready and packed efficiently. Follow these steps for easy travel preparation packing and you’ll be ready to go in no time!
- Space: One thing that really helps us is to not put things into our suitcase as we go along. Instead, lay them out on your bed or some other surface where you can see everything at once.
- Make a list: Put a checkmark next to the items as you lay them out. Don’t get distracted–go down the list one by one without skipping any. If you do have to skip something, make a special note of what you have to do.
- Two words: Ziploc Baggies. Get the gallon size baggies to help organize outfits or types of items. They also can help keep things easily accessible in your bag.
- Sort: Group your tops together, pants together, skirts, and dresses. Unless you know what you will be wearing each day, this is a great way to make sure you know where things are in your suitcase.
- Hiding Places: Put socks inside your shoes to save space, and then use plastic grocery bags to wrap your shoes. You can also save space by separating your shoes inside your suitcase, using them to fill space left by your clothes.
- Roll vs. Fold: Some people swear by rolling clothes to save space, and others like to squish the air out of the baggies and lay folded clothes flat. However, we prefer a combination of both. The key is to roll the items you can put into the corners of the suitcase, and lay flat the larger items that can go onto the flat middle section of the suitcase.
- Testing: Don’t be afraid to try different packing configurations! Sometimes it takes two tries to get things to fit the most efficient way. This is where laying everything out before starting to load your suitcase really helps.
- Essentials: Keep toiletries in travel-ready bottles in quart-size baggies in the outside pockets of your suitcase for easy access at the airport. A couple of items to keep in your purse, however. If you wear contacts, keep a separate baggie with your contact solution and case (and an extra pair) in your purse. I also like to keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse while traveling.
- Totes: Speaking of purses, use one big enough to carry your electronics, including your laptop, and your regular purse items. We are partial to the Tabitha Zipper Tote. It is large enough to carry everything we need and it’s totally fabulous.
- Timing: Finally, if you can, pack everything the day before and if you decide you want to add anything or switch anything out, you will have plenty of time to figure that out. I find myself unpacking and re-packing the night before my trips just so I can memorize where everything is and I verify that nothing has been forgotten.
What are you favorite packing tips? Share them with us!